Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Blog Post #8

technology and the earth. Technology is important to the earth





1. This Is How We Dream Part 1&2
By: Richard Miller

In the video "This Is How We Dream Part 1", Richard Miller discusses what can happen if instead of students reading and writing, they watch and listen to the lesson being taught. Richard Miller is a professor at Rutgers University, who uses multi-media to teach his students. He starts off with the incremental changes before he gets to the fundamental change. Things he says will change are: no more pens, paper, and visits to libraries. Also, he says how desks won't be important unless a computer is on it. With the conversion, students will learn how use multimedia for word processing and doc sharing. He shows an advantage of using multimedia which is that you can search not just your library, but all library across the world for resources.

In part 2 of Richard Miller's video, he talks about how the material is different and changes before your eyes. There is so much more learning done with the new program. He talks about about the academic information you can obtain when using iTunes U. He had a great quote that I agree with him on and it is "ideas do not belong with us individually but as a culture". Culture and background are what helps form ideas. I also agree when he says that "us as educators need to must be in the business of sharing ideas freely". He states four things that are needed to start this program. They are: Ubiguitous Composing Technology, Inspiring Teachers of New Media Composing, Spaces That Foster Collaborative Learning, and Pedagogues That Foster Creativity and Collaborations.

I enjoyed watching Richard Miller's video and liked how he showed examples on what he was talking about. I think it will be quite so time if/till this conversion will happen. I think his example about the libraries was neat, but I actually enjoy going to the libraries. I am also I fan of books. I don't if I could do away with books. I never heard of iTunes U and found it to be helpful. I would like to get rid of pens and paper. Writing with multimedia is a lot easier and isn't as messy.

2. Carly Pugh Blog Post #12
By: Carly Pugh

Carly Pugh's blog post was excellent! Her playlist assignment idea was great. She put a lot of thought into this blog and her end results were good. Carly's playlist that she created is the type of multimedia that Richard Miller was talking about in his video "This How We Dream". Her playlist examples of her favorite authors and characters show what Miller wants when using multimedia. You can still learn about important people without books and paper.


3. After watching the videos, I would make a video about Podcast. I had fun learning about podcast and how they can help in the classroom. In my video I would show why I would use a podcast in my classroom and explain what they are. I would also explain how you can have a audio or video podcast. I mostly would mostly use an audio podcast. I would record all of my lessons for students to listen to on their own time. This is way great for students for students to stay caught up and for them to listen to if they missed something in class.


4. Learn to Change, Change to Learn

The video starts with different individuals talking about how there needs to be a charge when it comes to learning in the classroom. One man even states how "schools are like factories". Another man
 and "hows its all about control and order". Another man talks about how kids are "having a more stimulating and rich environment out of school then in school". I do agree that kids today are doing more learning out of the classroom then in it. Kids are using technology out of school and in school they barley work with it. They have to much fun out of school that they make themselves dread coming to class. Having things that kids use every day out of school, like their social networking sites and phone, be banned from school doesn't help them. I agree with what one educator said in the video and that is " as educators we have to accept technology.....". We do need to accept it and embrace it!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are optimistic with Richard Millers post. Many times people don't like the way that this sounds. But, as you pointed out, there are many advantages to this type of media. I too like to go visit libraries and I think books are important.

    I too like Carly's playlist. I think that it is a very unique way to show how multimedia can be used. It is interesting that you like the idea of podcasts. Many of your classmates don't see much value in them. Good thinking!

    I think your comments on the Learn to change, Change to Learn video is great. I agree that keeping the technology away from students is just not working.

    Good post Jill, Don't forget to proof read before you post,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu didn't comment on the Chipper series, EDM310 is different, or EDM310 for dummies.

    ReplyDelete