Saturday, October 1, 2011

Blog Post #6

Social




The Networked Student
By: Wendy Drexler

The video “The Networked Student” by Wendy Drexler is about a boy who attends 21st Century High School. He attends this school three days a week and on the other two days he does online classes. It is pointed out that early in the video that the boy does not use a textbook. His teacher almost never lectures. The teacher insists that her students use the web to research whatever topic they are studying. His teacher is a student of connectivism, which is a theory that learning occurs through social network.


It wasn’t until the end of the video when the question “why does the networked student even need a teacher?” was asked. A networked student needs a teacher so they can be helped when they need it. The teacher can show them how to build a network or they can explain how to create one. Communications skills can be shown when a student needs help from a teacher. Basically the teacher is there for guidance. Teachers can help sort out what information is needed for the student network. She helps organize the mountain of information he has learned.


The video helped me have a better understanding for network learning in the 21st century. It showed that you still need a teacher to help guide you and help ask the right questions. It shows that you can still without using a book and hearing a teacher lecture. Students can have a better understanding of the web and can have an easier time finding information. This can help prepare students for their future. This video has helped prepare me for what I am going to have to help my students with in the future.


Social



A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
In the video “A 7th Grader’s Personal Learning Environment”, a 7th explains what she learns and does with her network learning. She shows the web page she created with all the links to the websites she uses for her science class. I think this a great to teach kids how to use the web and learn how to create a network. Networking can help benefit students by helping them be more prepared for their classes. I enjoyed learning about this students personal learning environment and it would be something that I would want my students to use.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a PLN? Be sure to proofread. It seemed like you typed your last paragraph in a rush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill! You are right when you said that asking for help from a teacher builds communication skills. When I was younger, I was always scared to ask my teachers' anything! As I got older, I started asking them way too many questions, but I definitely felt more comfortable talking to teachers and people after I started actually asking for help.


    I enjoyed watching the video about the 7th grader's PLN as well. She made me feel pretty dumb because she knew so much more than me! I think the PLN would be a great tool to use in my classroom. Great job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete